Grifols Shared Services North America, Inc Research Associate IV in Emeryville, California
The Research Associate IV position will support GDS research and development of recombinant proteins and antibodies through independent and skilled execution of experiments and tasks. This position will work closely with the Research Team to support the design of new immunodiagnostic reagents; the development of upstream, downstream, and characterization processes to produce these reagents; and/or the transfer of processes to manufacturing or R&D groups in GDS, Grifols companies, or external partners. In a research capacity, the incumbent will be supporting project needs by utilizing a variety of bacterial and mammalian cell culture, molecular biology, protein characterization, or protein purification techniques. This may include the associate's application of his or her technical expertise to develop, execute, or interpret results of scientific research experiments. This position supports the critical efforts of the Immunodiagnostic business in the development and the successful launch of Grifols Competitive Diagnostic products.
Primary responsibilities for role:
● Independently executes experiments using technical laboratory skills that may include protein assay and characterization, microbial/mammalian protein expression, and purification workflows.
● Works as a member of the R&D team and may execute and assist other lab staff in executing their research projects and experiments. At times may be asked to train other lab staff or lead certain projects.
● Leads teams as well as participates as a project team member as needed
● Proficiently operates laboratory equipment, that may include BLI, cell culture platforms, DLS, ELISA, HPLC, FPLC, mass spectrometry, photospectrometry, SPR, UNCLE instrumentation
● Analyzes protein functionality (in case of antibodies also evaluates specificity), quality, stability, and structure by running and developing new and routine assays
● With supervision, selects methodological approaches and specific methods to achieve research objectives
● Independently design and refine experiments with minimal direction
● Troubleshoots unexpected results and assists other lab staff in executing their research projects and experiments, as needed
● Explores new technologies, opportunities and automation to improve and/or streamline the protein expression/characterization workflows and processes.
● Revises relevant scientific literature to keep up with new technological developments in the field of research
● Prepares and orders of experimental components and supplies ahead of experimentation as requested
● Analyzes and interprets project results. Presents and articulates findings to colleagues, project teams, and various levels of management
● Prepares reports, processes data for presentations, contributes to manuscripts for scientific journals and intellectual property drafts and documentation and / or technical drafts
on all phases of product development
● Fulfill other lab related duties, including: keeping detailed, accurate records, maintaining lab equipments and laboratory supplies, modeling compliance with Grifols safety and training requirements
● Attends and participates in scientific meetings and seminars
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Demontrated skills in microbial protein expression, purification and/or bioanalytical characterization
Knowledge of mammalian recombinant protein expression and immunoassay testing of serum and/or blood samples, a plus.
Reliability for independetly design, execute and refine extended scientific protocols
Excellent organization and excellent time-management skills
Responsible for managing mulitiple projects with competing deadlines
High attention to detail and initiative, as well as energy
Strong interpersonal and presentation skills. Self-motivated and collaborative, Strong team player.
Excellent communication skills and attention to detail.
Ability to routinely and independently propose design and trouble shooting.
Proficient with MS Word, Excel, Powerpoint; EndNote or Mendeley, familiarity with ImageLab, Snapgene, Geneious, and/or Unicorn software is desirable
B.S. degree in Molecular Biology, Biochemistry, Biology, Immunology, Chemistry, Microbiology, or other life science field; M.Sc. potentially
Minimum of 8 years in laboratory setting; pharmaceutical or biotech experience with strong prior track record of success, a plus.
Associate is capable of lifting minimum 20 lb.
Job site is primarily on campus.
EEO Minorities/ Disability/Veterans
Grifols is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and to compliance with all Federal, State and local laws that prohibit employment discrimination on the basis of race, color, age, national origin, ethnicity, religion, gender, gender identity, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship, genetic disposition or characteristics, disability or veteran's status or any other classification protected by applicable State/Federal laws. We will consider for employment all qualified Applicants, including those with Criminal Histories, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.
Req ID: 219487