Grifols Shared Services North America, Inc Scientific Development Manager in Mississauga, Canada
Do you want to join an international team working to improve the future of healthcare? Do you want to improve the lives of millions of people? Grifols is a global healthcare company which, since its foundation in Barcelona in 1909, has been working to improve the health and well-being of people all over the world. Our four divisions - Bioscience, Diagnostic, Hospital and Bio Supplies - develop, produce and market innovative medicines, solutions and services in more than 100 countries and regions.
Grifols has been a leader in the healthcare industry since 1940 by creating innovative products and services based on the values of ethics, quality and responsibility. Grifols' activities focus on fulfilling the needs of its patients as well as healthcare professionals working in therapeutics, pharmacy, diagnostics and blood banking. For more than 75 years, Grifols has developed, manufactured and marketed product designed to improve human health. Grifols manufactures plasma derived biopharmaceutical products of proven efficacy, quality and safety. For more information, please visit our website: http://www.grifols.com
The Scientific Development Manager (SDM) is responsible for establishing and maintaining the medical and scientific understanding of Grifols' products amongst clinicians and researchers for Ontario and Manitoba, Canada (preferably based in Ontario). The SDM will work to identify long term strategic opportunities for Grifols that are crucial as Grifols' products are used in a multitude of applications for which there is limited but real scientific evidence. The growth of the business in Canada depends on identifying and supporting the development of further scientific evidence for the appropriate use of these products. SDMs are key players to recognize emerging therapeutic trends and unmet patient needs which will ultimately support the development of business strategies and opportunities. The SDM is responsible for developing mutual understanding and collaboration with medical thought leaders through the exchange of complex scientific information. Finally, the SDM will convey and interpret the information they bring back from the medical community, presenting its scientific and commercial implications.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
● Establish and maintain regular scientific contact with key opinion leaders to promote the understanding of scientific, clinical, regulatory and other developments related to Grifols' products for the region of Ontario Canada (including Manitoba)
● Provide medical/scientific expertise and review of literature to respond to medical/scientific inquiries from health care professionals and member from other departments. Adapt information to target audience that may also include information for patient education.
● Identify and develop long-term peer relationships with scientific/medical thought leaders to help lay the groundwork for product introductions, new indications, expanding market share, and supporting key strategic initiatives including scientific symposia, seminars and medical advisory boards
● Attend medical/scientific conferences to maintain scientific competence, to identify new opportunities that may support strategic business decisions and to provide effective up-to-date and credible scientific expertise in support of members of the medical community as well as internal teams (eg. Marketing, Sales)
● Provide support for the business development activities of Grifols by providing insight into key questions such as recommendations on how investigators respond to current studies, future research directions, emerging trends and therapies and competitive information
● Maintain regular contact with researchers funded by Grifols' research programs, effectively communicating ongoing research progress and supporting emerging science. Provide support and update to Grifols' clinical development groups that may include the visit of study sites, support of communication and exchange of trial related information
● The SDM will be required to travel extensively on their own and interact with a wide variety of medical and scientific personnel. A high degree of independence is required. Since the SDM will be one of the most visible faces of Grifols, this independence must be coupled with a high degree of cooperation with head office on issues of policy, strategy and tactics. The SDM must be able to balance a strong focus on compliance and business objectives with scientific acumen and the insight for longer term strategies. The individual SDM must be adept at gathering and sharing information and understand sensitivities and the impact of knowledge exchange
● Serves as a conduit for research discussions with investigators interested in developing investigator-sponsored research protocols
Skills/Qualifications/Education Requirements: (To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, education, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions).
Strong science/clinical background with advanced degree in a scientific field of study (PhD, PharmD, MD)
Typically requires minimum of 2 years of related experience in clinical practice, academics, or pharmaceutical industry.
Ability to be a self-starter, handle multiple projects simultaneously and demonstrate a sense of innovation in its interactions with opinion leaders
Excellent interpersonal, strategic, and communication skills
Excellent ability to understand, interpret, and communicate complex scientific and medical information and data
Ability to comfortably converse with key academic opinion leaders regarding highly technical information
Excellent ability to demonstrate computer literacy and learn programs and procedures used in the day-to-day functions of a typical MSL role
Ability to manage a demanding travel schedule during certain periods of the year and be flexible
At home-based office preferably located in Ontario
Territory to be covered are Ontario and Manitoba
Ability to read, write and communicate fluently in English
Work is performed in an office environment with exposure to electrical office equipment. Frequently sits for 6-8 hours per day. Frequent hand movement of both hands with the ability to make fast, simple, movements of the fingers, hands, and wrists. Frequently walks. Occasionally bends and twists neck. Light to moderate lifting and carrying objects with a maximum lift of 25lbs. Frequently drives to site locations in Ontario and frequently travels within the United States. Able to communicate complex information and ideas so others will understand; with the ability to listen to and understand information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences. Frequently interacts with others, relates sensitive information to diverse groups. Ability to apply abstract principles to solve complex conceptual issues. Performs a wide range of complex tasks as dictated by variable demands and changing conditions with little predictability as to the occurrence.
Req ID: 343187